Definitions According to DHCS:
Setup a Student/Intern the same way you would as a regular staff member. The only difference will be their license/degree. Check Appendix C (Licenses/Degrees) for more information on which specific degree to select for the specific student.
If the student has an NPI, include that in the License/Degree tab.
Students, Interns, and Residents should all have the same base role as their licensed counterpart.
Assign an automatic co-signer as required by your county’s policy. This is not the same as a reviewer. CalMHSA is working on developing a full reviewer process in SmartCare and will provide updates when available.
*If the Provider Does NOT Have a DEA Number
For Medical Interns and Medical Residents that do NOT have a DEA number, do NOT assign them the Prescriber user role. They will have to prescribe under a licensed physician with a DEA number.
**If the Provider Does NOT Have an NPI Number:
The Billing Manual indicates that Medical Interns and Medical Residents who do not have an NPI number can bill claims with their supervisor’s NPI number attached. CalMHSA recommends all providers have an NPI number, but in this use case, there are 2 additional steps you’ll need to do.
- Go into the student’s supervisor’s Staff Details screen and add the student in the “Supervisees” section. This will push the supervisor’s information into the students Staff Details screen.
- Add the appropriate Billing Claims Override rule to SmartCare. This will ensure that claims completed by the student without the NPI number will add the supervisor’s NPI number to the claim. For any providers that have an NPI number, SmartCare should ignore this Billing Claim Override rule.
How to Add a Supervisor to a Student's Setup When The Student Lacks an NPI Number
- Open the Supervisor’s Staff Details screen.
- Click the Search Icon
- Type in “Staff/Users” in the search bar.
- Select “Staff/Users (Administration)” from the search results)
- This will bring up the Staff/Users list page. Use the filters to find the staff you’re looking for. Click their name to open their Staff Details screen.
- Click on the “Proc/Prog/Loc/Proxy/Supervisor” tab.
- Scroll to the “Supervisees” section. Click on the “Add Staff” button.
- This opens a popup. Select the student staff from the list. Click OK.
- You can see that this person has now been added. Click Save and close.
- Now, if you look in the student’s Staff Detail screen, you can see that the supervisor has been automatically added.
How to Add the Billing Claims Override for Adding Supervisor NPIs to Claims
- Click the search icon.
- Type in “Billing Claims Overrides” in the search bar.
- Select “Billing Claims Overrides (Administration)” from the search results.
- This takes you to the Billing Claims Overrides list page. Click the New icon.
- In the “Supervising Provider: Supported on Professional (Loop 2310D)” field, select “Service Clinician Supervisor”.