How to Refer to an External SUD Program

Referrals to external SUD providers should NOT be entered in the Client Information: External Referrals due to 42 CFR. However, since counties manage all SUD programs, all SUD programs should be included in SmartCare, even if external. This is required for billing to the state on behalf of these programs.

When you need to refer to a program, you’ll do this as if the program is internal. Go to Client Programs and Request enrollment in the program you’re referring to. If you do not have access to select this program, you’ll need to inform someone with the Admin CDAG or someone who has that program in their CDAG to put in the enrollment request. CalMHSA is working on development to make this process smoother, but it is not available at go-live.